Sunday, December 11, 2011

LAKERS BASKETBALL

Growing up I never played in a basketball league. I played Little League and AYSO soccer. I like playing basketball, but when I was young it wasn't my thing. I think I have linked not wanting to play basketball to me not liking my hands being dirty. I know kinda weird. Playing street basketball with a old rubber ball made my hands filthy dirty and I did not like that.  Anyways.... Though I don't play basketball a whole lot and I am not a huge basketball fan, I do follow NBA basketball a little bit and I love to watch the Lakers.
There has been so much talk lately about the Lakers and possible trades for CP3 and D12 it has been a little exhausting. One minute there is a trade and then the next minute it isn't happening. I don't know all the details but I am pretty sure Commissioner Stern is an idiot and a lot of not only Laker fans but fans of the NBA are upset with recent events due to "Basketball reasons." A lot to keep up with the last couple of days if you are a Laker fan. You aren't sure who is still on the team, who has been traded and who has been signed.
I do have a few of my own thoughts. The Lakers were embarrassed last year in the playoffs. Phil Jackson is no longer the head coach and they have brought in Mike Brown. The Lakers are not a young team and Kobe will not be around forever. I think the efforts of trying to bring in Dwight Howard and Chris Paul is the best thing for the Lakers and they should do all they can to get these guys. You can not go in to this season with the same guys from last year and expect a better result. There needs to be change. Bringing in D12 and CP3 will bring in young, very talented players and arguably the best at their positions. You set the tone for defense with the new head coach and Dwight Howard, which has been lacking with the Lakers recently. Dwight Howard isn't just a defender and shot blocker but an offensive power in the paint that can put up 30+ points a night. Bringing in Chris Paul is looking towards the future when Kobe is no longer playing but in the mean time with these players you would no doubt be a dominant team in the west and expect to win a few championships in the next few years.
It is hard to give up guys like Odom, Gasol and Bynum who have been apart of championship teams for the Lakers but there is no way the Lakers can get top caliber players like CP3 and D12 without giving up these guys to make it happen.
I hope we can still get Howard this year with the negotiations for CP3 no longer happening. I also hope that New Orleans doesn't trade Paul and then next year as a free-agent CP3 signs with the Lakers. Who knows what will happen. I am sure a lot of people are just excited to get the season started after the stupid lockout. I hope that the NBA season isn't plagued with injuries like the NFL due to the late start in pre-season camps.
Just a few of my thoughts on Laker basketball. I hope they can pull it together in the shortened season and make it to the finals and win another championship.

No comments: